The really nice thing about Vertical Blinds is that they need very little maintenance to stay looking great, but it can be useful to know how to clean your vertical blinds should you need to.
As the name suggests the fabric hangs vertically so will not trap dust and dirt.
If you do want to know how to clean your vertical blinds, here are our tips
How to clean your vertical blinds fabric
Most modern fabrics can simply be wiped down with a clean damp cloth.
The best way to clean the fabric is to unclip the chain at the bottom of the strip of fabric you which to clean and then unhook it from the rail.
Place the fabric on a clean flat surface and wipe clean with a damp cloth. This could be done why the fabric is hanging on the rail but you run the risk of creasing the fabric.
After cleaning the fabric simply hang it back on the rail and reconnect the bottom chain.
How to clean your Machine Washable Vertical Blind Fabrics
First a word of warning please make sure the fabric you have is truly machine washable (check with your blind supplier)
- Remove the bottom chain from both sides of the louvres while they are still hanging at the window.
- Remove the weights in the bottom of the louvres
- Unclip the fabric from the rail
- Remove the plastic hanger from the top of the fabric
The fabric should now be free of of any other parts and is now ready for the next step.
- Roll each strip of fabric into a cylinder shape, using the large bottom pocket as a guide and then secure the fabric with a loose fitting elastic band.
- Once you have repeated this for all of the strips of fabric place them in a pillow case.
- Wash they at 40 degrees or less and NO SPIN DRYING
Now the fabric has been washed it needs time to dry.
- Place a towel on the window sill where the blind you have just cleaned is fitted.
- Put the plastic hanger in the top pocket of each strip of fabric.
- Rehang the fabric back onto the rail
- Refit the bottom weights and chain to the bottom of the louvres
- Allow the fabric to dry naturally.
This method of cleaning your vertical blind fabric can seriously damage the fabric if is not a machine washable fabric. So please be careful.
Ask for advice
Most professional blind companies will know which of their fabrics are machine washable and which ones aren’t, and should able to give you further advice on how to clean your vertical blinds.
If you can’t get the answers you need I would recommend that you don’t risk washing them.
If you are brave and still want to try I would recommend you follow the instructions with just one strip of fabric and see how that goes.
I hope this information on how to clean your vertical blinds has been helpful.